There are times when Love Addicts may ask themselves whether it's worth the time and energy, and even financial investment to try healing, overcoming their addiction to love. "Is it all worth it?"
I have never meant one person who said recovering wasn't worth it all, no matter how challenging or hard their recovery was. Or how many 'bumps' it took to finally see the light in their recovery path.
That's right, I never met a recovered love addict, who said,
"You know Jim, after having a lot of recovery under my belt, I realize I'm at such a good place in my life, I feel good, I have a happy relationship- the love of my life, I know my worth, and know my internal boundaries are solid, but I can't say it has been all worth it. I really wouldn't mind going back to where I was, pre-recovery, and feel 'crazy' in love, obsess and pine for someone who can't love back, and incapable of meeting my genuine needs for intimacy and mutual connection. I miss all the high's and lows, the emotional roller-coaster I in my past relationships-- it was a blast, so fulfilling!"
I do not think I will ever hear such a statement, ever. Here is why: The positive outcomes that often result from overcoming love addiction. Below are 10 recovery benefits- ask yourself if having these benefits in your life would enhance you, your relationships, and your wellbeing.
Benefits to Overcoming Addictive Love and Relationships
- A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than on fears based on past experiences.
- An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
- A loss of interest in judging other people.
- A loss of interest in judging self.
- A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
- A loss of interest in conflict.
- A loss of the ability to worry.
- Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation (self and others).
- Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
- Frequent attacks of smiling and affirming ME.
- An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.
- Increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.